Sunday, December 16, 2012

Last blog from Honduras

Hello to all!

So the past couple of weeks have been crazy. We finished up our two week internship called practicuum and then presented our experience in front of the class. We were asked to research one question in particular and the one that I looked at was, how do sponsorship organizations best communicate in between the kid and the sponsor? So I got to interview someone at the school we researched at about that and I also talked to a Compassion International worker. Very interesting.

Isaac and I also did so many more things for the school and also UMF (Union Micro-Finanza). We helped promote an event at Calvin that UMF was going to sell their coffee at called the Fair-trade fair. We emailed profs, facebooked students, and wrote in facebook groups. And I can proudly so that we were very successful and the workers in La Union thanked us because they ran out of coffee at the event at Calvin. It was nice to feel like we really contributed because so often with these type of short-term internships, it's typical to feel like you're a hassle rather than a help. But we were sooo busy the whole time because there was so much to do.

One additional thing that we did was help write a blog for UMF, as well as the school. And we described some of our experiences in these blog posts as well. Here are the links to the blog posts, as well as the facebook link to some pictures on facebook from the practicuum in La Union.
http://blog.unionmicrofinanza.org/2012/12/students-learn-about-development.html
http://abundantlifeschools.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/two-weeks-in-la-union/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4122392344105.2157321.1412220353&type=1

I just got back from our final retreat and I can't believe that I'm leaving tomorrow. It's so insane. We had a great final retreat of hanging out with the group, going on an excursion underneath a giant waterfall (It really was insane, there were points when I could barely see and was just relying on the hand of the person ahead of me) (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=798312358624&set=t.1412220353&type=3&theater), having worship together, and discussing how to best come back to the states. It's going to be a pretty big culture shock coming back, especially around Christmas time. Nevertheless, I miss my friends and family and am so excited to see them =)))))

Our theme of the semester has been how God has given this semester to us as a gift, and our worship and discussion on the final retreat has revolved around this theme as well. We can tell the giver of the gift that we like the gift as much as we want, but what really matters is how we use it. In this way I'm praying that I can best embrace this gift of the semester from the grace of God and continue to further his kingdom and promote shalom due to it. Because this semester has flipped around so much of what I've thought, what I put my time/energy into, and much much more! If anyone reading this would want to learn more about what I've learned and what we've done, (because I've tried to do the semester justice in this blog but can't even come close) I'd love to grab a cup of coffee and talk! (Obvi it doesn't have to be coffee, but I feel like that's the classic line nowadays so I went ahead and said it).

One scripture we brought up during worship that really spoke to me was 1st Peter 4:10-11 (ESV):

"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one serves by the strength that God supplies-in order that everything God may be glorified through Christ Jesus. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."

BOOOOOOM!!! THERE you go. With God's grace and power that transcends all understanding let us go and strive for Christ-like love. So that we can cater and serve others above ourselves like Jesus talks about in Matthew 20: 25-28. The beauty of it is that you don't have to be in another country to further shalom in the world, there are so many opportunities in everyday life that we can serve others and show them that we're fixing our eyes upon heaven for our hope. Not in ourselves or our actions, but in Jesus and the fact that he's going to come back and make everything right. And I tell you what....that's all I want to put my hope and joy in nowadays, because one doesn't have to look too far, for instance in the Connecticut shootings to know that we as humans are incredibly fallen.

 "To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."


1 comment:

  1. Tears to my eyes reading this bro.

    Third John four.

    Love ya my man.

    -Alex McCue

    ReplyDelete